Friday, May 27, 2011
I am by no means a blogging expert (clearly). So for today's Armchair BEA writing prompt, I'm just going to discuss some of the things I have learned while blogging. Please, please add some of your own tips and tricks in the comments--I would love to learn more!
1) When commenting on other blogs, please don't just leave a link to your blog. If you're going to link to your blog (which I love looking at), leave a meaningful comment as well! There is nothing better than looking in your comments section to find a very thought out comment. It doesn't need to be a book, but it's nice to know that you actually read the post.
2) I don't really like just link-for-link promotion. Sure, I love getting more followers, but I would rather my followers actually be interested in what I am saying.
3) Only blog what you feel like blogging. Don't review books just because they were pitched to you. Don't participate in memes just because everyone else is. You're unique, so your blog should be unique to you!
4) If you're not a schedule person, you don't have to have your posts scheduled a month in advance. Do whatever feels comfortable to you.
5) Really utilize the social media aspect of blogging. Make genuine contacts with other book bloggers. Don't force it, but put in some effort. You can find some very fascinating people doing this. Plus, you never know when that contact could be beneficial in the future. That book blogger you know from Nevada? They could know someone who is looking for [insert job of choice here] and tell you about it.
In addition to this somewhat useful post, I would like to thank all of the organizers of Armchair BEA! It has been such a blast. I've loved looking at all of the featured posts of the day and the Twitter parties were insane. I met so many fabulous people and I hope to keep in contact with them. Also, if you've joined me in Bookland because of Armchair BEA, thank you! I hope you stick around and like what you see.
Please, please, pleaseeee share your tips with me! What do you look for when you're looking for blogs to follow? What is the best advice you have ever been given? Let me know!