Monday, August 22, 2011

Alternate Universes

It’s kind of fun to sometimes imagine what you would be like if you existed in an alternative universe. Is the alternate universe “you” completely opposite from who you are? Is that how it works? Or are they the you would would have been had you grown up in that environment? Is this even making sense? There are so many things to think about when alternate universes come into the picture.
If we go with the former, the alternate universe version of yourself would be the complete opposite of you. I’m not so sure this would be smart/dumb, nice/mean... I think it’s more complicated than that. I’m having trouble articulating this, but I kind of think that if you were a generally nice person, this alternate universe version of you would be more sinister. 
Then there is the second option. It’s the whole nature vs. nurture debate. Would you still be the same person if you were brought up in a completely different environment? I’m not so sure. I think there are certain things that are completely innate and would not change. Other things....well they could potentially be changed.   
Do you guys think people (authors, etc.) sometimes create alternate universes so that their characters can act out being a “bad character?” You know--we have a generally good person and when we meet them in that alternate universe--they’re suddenly “bad.” What comes to mind (and is probably aging me here) is an episode of “Sabrina the Teenage Witch.” Haha, I know. Anyway, there is a “good version” and a “bad version” of Sabrina. 
I suppose it would be kind of fun to play that opposite role for a bit.  
What are your favorite alternate universe books/TV shows/movies? To be honest, I’m not sure if I’ve ever read one. I would really like some suggestions!
In the third season of “Fringe,” Olivia and her alternate version switch places. To see what happens, you can pre-order your copy of Fringe: The Complete Third Season on DVD here today: http://bit.ly/o2MYBv!
I have been hired by Warner Bros. WBWord division to promote Fringe: The Complete Third Season on DVD/Blu-Ray.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away, my friends. I love to chat with you guys. :)