Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder Review

Title: The Lipstick Laws
Author: Amy Holder
Genre: Young Adult, Chick Lit
Page Count: 240 pages, 263 KB
Book Type: Galley e-book
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
ISBN: 9780547363060
ASIN: B004S7EIHM


From Goodreads: At Penford High School, Britney Taylor is the queen bee. She dates whomever she likes, rules over her inner circle of friends like Genghis Khan, and can ruin anyone's life with a snap of perfectly manicured fingers. Just ask the unfortunate few who have crossed her.   For April Bowers, Britney is also the answer to her prayers. April is so unpopular, kids don't even know she exists. But one lunch spent at Britney's table, and April is basking in the glow of popularity.   But Britney's friendship comes with a high price tag. How much is April willing to pay?

My Review: This is some major cover love. The cover caught my attention right away and I really like the choice for the title. It is a main part of the book and I smiled every time I saw “The Lipstick Laws” referenced in the story.
The Lipstick Laws was a lot like the movie, “Mean Girls,” but it was still fresh and entertaining. This is a classic story of an outsider wanting to be popular, but once they become part of the group they realize that it isn’t all that it seems to be. April has some really funny inner-dialogue and she made me laugh on more than one occasion. She’s totally a normal girl just trying to get by. She has confidence issues and is sucked into bad situations on more than one occasion, but she is trying to do the right thing. April sometimes becomes a mean girl herself, but I think a lot of teenagers go through that.
This was a nice break from paranormal and dystopian reads for me. It was fun to get back into “the real world” and read about characters without any special abilities. These are all high school kids and the situations they are put into real, if not maybe a bit exaggerated. 
I think this will be a nice read for the upcoming summer months. It was quick and quite enjoyable. I especially think high school girls will love this one. I had “Mean Girls” when I was in high school and The Lipstick Laws is the “Mean Girls” of this generation!
I’ll leave this one with being really glad that my high school experience was not like this. Have you read this one yet? Are you looking forward to? What was your high school experience like? Let me know your thoughts! 
Thanks to NetGalley and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children’s Book Group for this e-galley!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away, my friends. I love to chat with you guys. :)