Tuesday, June 5, 2012

ArmchairBEA Day 3: Beer and YA Lit Chat?


Yeah. These things may not really go together usually, but I think it sounds like an amazing time. Today is the third day of ArmchairBEA and the suggested topic is to talk about a real life experience with books. Well, last year I discussed meeting Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl at ComicCon, so I couldn’t write about that again. Authors don’t really visit Pittsburgh much... so that is shot as well. Hm. Shot, you say?
Since my friends and I are more on the adult side of young adult, we have frequently discussed going to the bar, having a beer or two, and discussing YA lit. Clearly we would talk about the swoon-worthy boys in YA books. Am I right or am I right?

We often say that these boys give us unrealistic expectations for “real guys.” Whatevs. That’s why we’re going to the bar to discuss books. We’re cool like that. So, what I guess I’m trying to say is you should probably join in our YA lit chats at the bar. You can do it at your local bar with your friends... or come visit us if you’re in the area. Other popular topics include television (Veronica Mars, One Tree Hill, Pretty Little Liars), movies...and the boys in them. 

Join us and make us not as lame as we actually are. You could also tell me all about your chats. I would probably love that.

19 comments:

  1. Fun! I don't drink (by choice), but it'd be fun to get together and go out to eat and talk about books! I have absolutely no bookish friends, though. Maybe I should find some. :P

    - Jana @ That Artsy Reader Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain! That's why I love blogging so much - there are way more people to talk bookish goodness with!

      Delete
  2. My book club has an aversion to YA, most of them. But when we do read books together and discuss them at book club, sometimes there's some booze involved.

    Twitter: @LiterallyJen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going out and talking about books sounds like an absolute blast! Occasionally I meet up with one of my friends and we'll have "reading parties" or take our books to the park for awhile, but it's almost always just one or two of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, talking about swoon worthy boys is always a good time!!! Those in YA lit never disappoint (ok so sometimes they do, but generally you kinda just swoon and then the end). My friend and I do this...all the time...randomly... :-)

    Day 3: http://wordsareinnermusic.blogspot.com/2012/06/armchair-bea-alyson-noels-book-signing.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun post! Yes, go and talk with your friends about books, or make new friends. I meet up with other bloggers every now and then and it's always great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds awesome! Keep up the good work :)

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. None of my close friends are big readers. I got one of the guys I work with to read The Hunger Games, so that made for some interesting conversations! But where most of my friends are guys, when we go out drinking, the conversations usually revolve around some sport or other.

    Kelly
    Day 3: Networking

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool that you've been to Comic Con! I hear more and more authors are showing up there.

    I'm sure you already know about Forever Young Adult, but if you don't, head over to their site. They are all about promoting YA book clubs for those of us post-YA :) Plus their site is hilarious and they have drinking games for things like Vampire Diaries and Anne of Green Gables :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! I would love to chat it up with my friends at our local bar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I met Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl at YAll Fest last year too! They're awesome! I also used to have friends around (also more A than YA) and we'd go out and just geek out about YA. But now they're very far away from me =(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the whole beer and books idea and the pics. Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love going to the bar and talking books with my friends. I don't think there is a thing wrong with that in the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need bookish friends near by as well! I could talk books for hours.

    The Flashlight Reader

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I lived closer to Pittsburgh because you guys sound like fun (and I love PLL too). My cousin also reads YA so maybe I'll have to start a beer book club with her lol.
    -Melissa @Harley Bear Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. You sound like a really fun group! I bet your bar and book meets are a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Going to the bar is an awesome idea. I was at my last book club meeting this past Sunday and thought, why are we having this at someone's house? Why can't we have it at a restaurant so no one has to host?! You have inspired me to bring this up next time around :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ummmm. That sounds AMAZING. I'm just going to pack a bag and come meet you down in Pittsburgh, kay?

    No, but really. I can't think of a combination I like more than booze and books. I keep saying that all book signings should have open bars! If only someone would listen....

    ReplyDelete

Comment away, my friends. I love to chat with you guys. :)