Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Long Gone by Alafair Burke Review

Title: Long Gone
Author: Alafair Burke
Genre: Adult, Mystery, Suspense
Page Count: 368 pages
Publish Date: June 21, 2011
Book Type: ARC provided by publisher for honest review
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
ISBN: 9780061999185
Picture from Amazon
From Goodreads: How well do you know your boss?
After a layoff and months of struggling, Alice Humphrey finally lands her dream job managing a new art gallery in Manhattan’s trendy Meatpacking District. According to Drew Campbell, the well-suited corporate representative who hires her, the gallery is a passion project for its anonymous, wealthy, and eccentric owner.
Everything is perfect until the morning Alice arrives at work to find the gallery gone—the space stripped bare as if it had never been there—and Drew Campbell’s dead body on the floor. Overnight, Alice’s dream job has vanished, and she finds herself at the center of a police investigation, with the evidence mounting against her. To prove her innocence and uncover the truth, Alice must undertake a dangerous search for answers that entangles her in a dark, high-tech criminal conspiracy and forces her to unearth long-hidden secrets involving her own family . . . secrets that could cost Alice her life.
My Review: Once you get to the end of the book, you really understand the idea behind the cover and I appreciate that. I’m not sure that it is super eye-grabbing, but it is nice! I really like the blurred image and once again, yay for red heads on book covers!
This book really reminded me how much I like a good mystery/suspense novel. Like many of my other favorite mysteries, Long Gone had many intertwining characters and plot lines. Sometimes it was hard to remember which character was which, but once I got a hold on who was who, it was easier. Every aspect of the mystery comes together, but not in super obvious ways. That is the nicest part. I was able to figure out some things, but others left me guessing! I thought some people were guilty and they ended up not being guilty and vice versa.
I know what it is like to be unemployed (granted, I am still in grad school), so I can only imagine how excited Alice was to be offered her dream job. Only for it to all be taken away from her. Ugh. That would be awful. I thought Alice’s emotions about this were pretty well developed and natural. Well done!
I’m really glad HarperCollins sent this book to me--I want to check out the other books written by Alafair Burke. Thank you! I definitely recommend this one to anyone who likes a good mystery.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away, my friends. I love to chat with you guys. :)