Wednesday, March 16, 2011

New Moon by Stephenie Meyer Review

Title: New Moon (The second in the Twilight series)
Author: Stephenie Meyer
Genre: Young Adult, Vampire, Love Story
Page Count: 563 pages
Book Type: Hardcover
Publisher: Little Brown
ISBN: 9780316160193
This review is a blast from the past.... my thoughts on this series has changed slightly since then. Perhaps I’ll update this at some point.
Picture from Amazon

From Goodreads: I FELT LIKE I WAS TRAPPED IN ONE OF THOSE TERRIFYING NIGHTMARES…
For Bella Swan, there is one thing more important than life itself: Edward Cullen. But being in love with a vampire is even more dangerous than Bella ever could have imagined. Edward has already rescued Bella from the clutches of one evil vampire, but now, as their daring relationship threatens all that is near and dear to them, they realize their troubles may be just beginning. . . .
Legions of readers entranced by the New York Times bestseller Twilight are hungry for the continuing story of star-crossed lovers Bella and Edward. In New Moon, Stephenie Meyer delivers another irresistible combination of romance and suspense with a supernatural spin. Passionate, riveting, and full of surprising twists and turns, this vampire love saga is well on its way to literary immortality.

*This review was originally written by me for College Lifestyles*

My Review: Let me start by explaining that I used to be completely anti-Twilight.  I was an avid ‘Harry Potter’ fan and was pretty distraught thinking that there was another series being compared to it.  I read the back of Twilight to get an idea of what it was about and I laughed even harder.  Alas, I ended up buying it just to see where all of the hype was coming from.  I ended up really enjoying it for what it was.  Even though the books are long, they are definitely what you would call “easy reads.”  The first book, Twilight, gave us the budding romance between vegetarian vampire Edward Cullen and clumsy human Bella Swan.  The next paragraph may be a little spoiler-y… just a warning!
Where Twilight is filled with young love, New Moon is filled with teenage angst.  There is relationship turmoil, a secretive best friend and an international trip that could save something very precious.  After probably the worst birthday party known to man, the Cullens leave and Bella’s world is turned upside down.  She not only loses the “love of her life” Edward, but her best girl friend, Alice.  Bella is catatonic through a good portion of the book and she only finds solace in her best friend Jacob Black; however, Jacob starts to become secretive and Bella hits a low point once again.   Bella is a self-proclaimed “adrenaline junkie” racing motorcycles and cliff diving throughout the novel.  This is her only way to feel Edward’s presence again.
New Moon is definitely a bit heavier than Twilight was, but it is a necessity to the series as a whole.  I have to admit; when I first read this book, I was less than thrilled.  I think it truly takes a second reading to appreciate it.  Also, after watching the movie, I have become even more of a fan.  It is kind of nice that the characters in the series are far from perfect.  Each and every character has their faults as well as their strengths.  Hey, you can always give the Twilight series a chance because you probably couldn’t find a bigger hater than me… and now I am eating my words.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away, my friends. I love to chat with you guys. :)