Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Judge a Book by its Cover: Mockingbird

I’m going to start a new feature here in Bookland where I *do* judge a book strictly by its cover. I’m not going to provide the synopsis; however, I will provide some links for you if you want to check them out. I thought it might be interesting to see what kinds of books I (and you) are drawn to by the covers only. Naturally, if there are different versions of the cover, I should include them too. Who knows how I will choose which books to feature...we shall see!
First up, Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine. I just randomly saw this cover on Amazon. 

Hardcover (Picture from Amazon)


Paperback (Picture from Amazon)

I love the paperback so much more than the hardcover. I may just have an unnatural obsession with braids, though. I wish the paperback was free of the quote and the ‘National Book Award Winner’ emblem. I know it is an achievement, but I do not like when those things clutter the covers of books. Maybe I feel as if the hardcover is a bit too whimsical, but perhaps the content of the book warrants that. The paperback keeps a certain amount of whimsy, because it looks like she is playing hide-and-seek, while still being engaging. I actually like the font in the hardcover more, but I think I would be drawn into the paperback. 
So, what do you all think of this feature? I would love to know :)

1 comment:

Comment away, my friends. I love to chat with you guys. :)