Friday, September 3, 2010

Crank by Ellen Hopkins Review

Title: Crank
Author: Ellen Hopkins
Genre: YA
Page Count: 537
Book Type: Library Paperback
Publisher: Simon Pulse, an Imprint of Simon & Schuster
ISBN: 978-0-689-86519-0
Picture from Goodreads

Summary from Goodreads: Kristina Georgia Snow is the perfect daughter: gifted high school junior, quiet, never any trouble. But on a trip to visit her absentee father, Kristina disappears and Bree takes her place. Bree is the exact opposite of Kristina -- she's fearless.
Through a boy, Bree meets the monster: crank. And what begins as a wild, ecstatic ride turns into a struggle through hell for her mind, her soul -- her life.

My Review: I love how simplistic this cover is. There really isn’t much to talk about, since it is so simple, but I really, really think it has an impact. 
At first, I thought I wasn’t going to be able to get into the poetry style writing of this, but after about 5 or 6 pages I found myself enjoying it immensely. Despite the thickness of this book it is quite a quick read. The subject matter is heavy, but it is appropriate. The writing style adds so much to the story and pauses in all of the right spots. By now, I’m sure you are all aware of the story matter and I will just add in that it is powerful and raw. I give Ellen Hopkins very high praise for her ability to draw the reader into the story and take us on this journey with Kristina/Bree. I highly recommend this book--it will make you think for quite awhile. 
This is the first of my reviews of banned/challenged books for the month. I don’t think that books should ever be banned. Every family needs to make their own reading limits and discussing “hard” books can be a great family bonding experience. It makes me so mad (and sad) when books are challenged because, I guarantee, half of the time the challenger hasn’t even read the book. Anyway, I’m just throwing my two cents in there. 
Have you read Crank yet? What is your favorite banned/challenged book? Let me know in the comments!

7 comments:

  1. This book sounds really great! I can't believe that some books are challenged because of their subject matter. You learn so much from books, and sometimes it's necessary to look at life from another perspective.

    As to going to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter together: YES, PLEASE!!! Oh my gosh, it would and will be incredible. I suggest we start by going to Ollivander's Wand Shop to have our wands pick us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dree

    Deirdre, I agree completely!

    Yessss.. how amazing would that be if a bunch of us met up to go to the Wizarding world?!?! you, me, Shannon, Becky and Briana! It's on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After hearing all about the banned books issue, I decided I had to read at least one of her books. I just bought Burned and can't wait to start reading it! I also have the concern about getting into the style of writing so it's nice to hear you still enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tara

    Ooh, I hope you like Burned--I'll have to check that one out too. The writing was very easy to get into :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crazy this was banned. Considering the topic is something teens deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I couldn't get into the writing style either when I started, but then a half hour later I found myself sitting on the floor of Borders finishing the book with tears in running down my face. Definitely a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have an award waiting!
    http://www.fictionfolio.com/2010/09/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Comment away, my friends. I love to chat with you guys. :)