Friday, August 6, 2010

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver Review

Title: Before I Fall
Author: Lauren Oliver
Genre: YA
Page Count: 470
Book Type: Library Hardcover
Publisher: HARPER: An Imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers
ISBN: 978-0-06-172680-4
Picture from www.amazon.com
From Goodreads: What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life? 

Samantha Kingston has it all—looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12th should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it’s her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. In fact, she re-lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she had ever imagined.


My Review: First off, this cover is so hauntingly beautiful. It's almost as if I don't want to look at it too long. The girl's face is life size and the look in her eyes is so heartbreaking. I knew just from looking at the cover that this would be a heavy book, and I wasn't wrong.

This book made my heart feel so heavy that I can hardly describe it. It made me feel so many different things, which made for a great read. It isn't often when you can feel pity, sadness, rage and a plethora of other emotions while reading one story. This book is cruel, hopeful and real all at the same time. My heart hurts for anyone who actually had a high school experience like this one. I've never disliked and liked a main character as much as I did with Sam. Reading this I was up and down and left and right. It was such an emotional roller coaster. 

*Minor spoiler to follow*
 I wish we could have seen all of the repercussions of Sam's death after she finally accepts it and does everything she can to make the world right. I wanted to know what Juliet, Lindsey, Elody, Ally and Kent were feeling and how they dealt with everything.
*End spoiler*

Overall, I would definitely recommend this book. Know that it is emotionally draining and you will need a fluffy book after it--which I'm plotting right now.

Have you read Before I Fall yet? What were your thoughts? If you haven't, why not? ;)

11 comments:

  1. I loved Before I Fall. My favorite book so far this year. I felt the same about the ending as well, it would have been nice to see how it played out for the rest of them especially Juliet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, thanks for reminding me it is Juliet, not Julia. I think I always read it as Julia because Juliet Sykes always screams Julia Stiles to me. *brain fart* I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way about the ending, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm too scared read this book =( I've heard such wonderful things about it but I swear my heart breaks already thinking about reading it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sara McClung ♥

    Awe, don't be scared! It is intense, but I think it is well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow this sounds really good yet intense. emotionally draining stuff is almost like a workout! That Benjamin Button movie was emo draining for me big time.. never cried so hard in my life during a movie.

    Great review! You should be a NY Times book reviewer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @tropicaleats.com

    Shannon, you're too sweet! I still haven't seen that movie--I'll have to add it to my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this a while back and found it haunting as well, it was a great read! Though like you I wished I could have known what happened after the last chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read it and loved it so much...that book still haunts me! You're right it was an emotional roller coaster and I was so drained afterwards, but oh, the ride! It was one of those books that stays with you...have you read Thirteen Reasons Why? This book reminded me of that one...just the absolute emotional depth to the characters and quality of writing. Thank you for a beautiful review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Cleverly Inked

    I really loved it too!

    @Stacy at A Novel Source

    I have read Thirteen Reasons Why and I really enjoyed it. Very intense and I could not put it down. Thanks so much for your kind words <3

    ReplyDelete

Comment away, my friends. I love to chat with you guys. :)